SAOSO takes responsibility for food sovereignty and sustainable development through organic production practices.
Organic agriculture has been proven to be more efficient in times of climate change and drought, and far better suited to the large majority farmers who choose to farm in an ecologically-sound manner.
Our strategy and work is focused on:
Harnessing opportunities for the organic sector
Research that furthers the adoption of organic agriculture
Access to market through PGS and organic certification
Collaborating and networking nationally, regionally and internationally
Uniting and promoting the organic agriculture sector
SAOSO’s mandate is to develop the organic sector from training programmes through to value chain activities. SAOSO has partnered with PGS SA to develop a grassroots movement of organic farmers nationally. Growing food sovereignty through partnerships and programs provincially. Aligning farmers to Ecological Organic Agriculture and PGS nationally, producing to the SAOSO standard.
- To create awareness amongst producers, consumers, retailers and markets of the opportunities for local certification through the SAOSO standard and trademarked logos;
- To make training in organic farming more readily available by partnering with Centres of Excellence in as many provinces as can be activated.
- To populate and build content of the Knowledge Hub page that will make organic farming easier.
- To identify opportunities that can be shared with those in the organic sector.
- To work closely with the Department of Agriculture, Rural Development and Land Reform and the office of the Registrar: Act 36 to simplify the process of registering organic inputs thus making them more accessible to farmers.
- To engage with stakeholders in the agroecology network for a programme of support from Government that is suitable for producers who choose not to farm conventionally.
- To establish a trade desk that will service the needs of organic producers.
- Facilitating access to the Carbon Credit Market
- Information on Impact ESG
- Next Farmer Platform
SAOSO has partnered with PGS SA to develop a grassroots movement of organic farmers nationally. Growing food sovereignty through partnerships and programs provincially. Aligning farmers to Ecological Organic Agriculture and PGS nationally, producing to the SAOSO standard.
SAOSO is a member of the International Federation of Organic Agriculture Movements (IFOAM) which is the worldwide umbrella organisation for the organic agriculture movement. IFOAM assisted with the development of the SAOSO standard.
SAOSO has partnered with Control Union, the accredited certifying body who can provide organic certification services to the SAOSO standard.
The Sustainability Institute
Promoting the transition towards organic farming and agroecology across the global South.
Climate Neutral Group
To harness opportunities in the carbon market, SAOSO has partnered with the Climate Neutral Group to facilitate access to the AgriCarbon Programme, where producers are rewarded for their sustainable farming practices.